Thursday, July 18, 2013

Garden Bounty - Pickled Cucumbers and Onions.

So I've been growing my own veggies and my cucumbers have just popped out.  While I was trying to figure out what to do with them, I remembered a treat that my grandmother used to make for us.  Most people call them refrigerator pickles but we always called them pickled cucumbers.  She would keep them in a bowl in the fridge and we could eat them up after school.  I didn't get a chance to get her recipe but I think I came up with a pretty good version.
 
Ingredients:
 
4 Cucumbers
 
2 Small White Onions (you can use sweet onions or red onions, if you'd like)

2 Teaspoons Salt

Two Cups Vinegar (I used 1 cup white vinegar and 1 cup UNSEASONED natural rice vinegar.  You can mix it up or use one type only.  Apple cider vinegar can also be used and it makes a sweeter pickle.)

2 Tablespoons No Salt Seasoning.  (The kind I use contains pepper, spices, orange peel)
 
1/3 Cup sugar (If you like sweeter, add more sugar)
 
Ice

Process:

Slice the cucumbers and the onions thinly.  If you have a mandolin, use it but if not, just use a knife. Sprinkle with the salt and toss lightly.  


In a pot, combine the vinegar, sugar and seasoning and bring to a boil.  Remove from the fire and add 4 cups of ice and stir until the ice is melted. 
Pack the cucumbers and onions in jars.  I layered them and packed the jars tightly.  If you don't have jars, don't sweat it, I've also used plastic storage bowls with tight fitting lids.
Pour the cooled vinegar mix over the veggies.  Let it sit for a minute and using a spoon or a skewer, push down on the veggies to push out any air bubbles.  Top with a little more of the liquid to fill in the air spaces.  Cap it and store it in the fridge. Wait a few hours before you give them a try.  It can last up to two months stored in the fridge, if they survive the hungry hordes that long! :)

These can be eaten as is or added to salads or whatever you want.  My mom add the onions to her fresh cooked collard greens.  I've eaten them with fish.  It's a versatile dish.  Try it out and let me know what you think!

SMOOCHES!!

No comments:

Post a Comment