Monday, January 21, 2013

I'm cooking and it's all experimental!

Sundays at home usually find me looking for something to get into.  This usually means finding a way to indulge without over doing it.  I had apples left over from Christmas and I hated for them to go bad before I could eat them, so I decided to try crockpot apple sauce.   Here are the ingredients:


5 large apples (I left the peels on but you can peel if you like)
1 cup of water
2 cinnamon sticks plus 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon of ginger
A drizzle of honey (Optional.  You can also use sugar or sugar substitute or nothing at all!)

(Keep in mind, these ingredients are my taste.  If you don't like one or like more, feel free to play with your food!!) 

Instructions:

Cut and core the apples.  Peel if you wish.  I like the skin so I left it on. 


Add everything to the crockpot and set on low for 6 hours. Don't worry if the amount of water seems small, the apples will release plenty of juice as they cook!
A



After 6 hours, you can leave it like this:
Or you can put it in a food processor or blender in small batches and puree it to the texture you like.  Personally, I like it like this because it reminds me of apple pie filling. :)

This can be eaten hot or cold, alone or with anything you choose to put it on.  I added a little dollop of vanilla yogurt, just to contrast the warmness of it.  It can even be served as a side to a nice pork chop! It's not too sweet and it doesn't compete with the sweetness of the apples.   This is my little sweet treat.  It reminds me of apple pie without all of the overloaded sugar, crust or calories.  

I hope you'll try it and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment