Sunday, October 9, 2011

My First Recipe To Share!

I made my first veggie chili from scratch.  My biggest issue lately is not wanting meat.  I'll eat it but I really haven't had a taste for it lately.  I have, however, discovered a love for beans and this was a way to incorporate that along with a craving for chili.  It's low-fat and low-salt (if you use salt free beans) and so tasty.  I shared with a couple of friends and they loved it, even without the meat.  One even told me she used it as a dip with tortilla chips!  I hadn't thought of that!  This is really a free-form recipe.  You can add or delete to taste. One of my friends love to add Tabasco to his, making it super hot! It's up to you, just enjoy!


Karen's Veggie Chili

2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped (or more if you prefer)
Half cup chopped onion
1 can of black beans (low salt)
1 can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed (low salt)
1 large can tomatoes puree. (salt free) 
Salt free seasoning, to taste
Pepper, to taste
Chili powder, to taste. *See note about chili powder below*
2 tablespoons powdered Cumin or to taste
2 tablespoons dried Oregano or to taste

Heat oil in pot on medium heat.  When hot, add onion and garlic and cook until softened.  
Add all the other ingredients and if needed, a cup of water.  
Check seasonings and adjust to your taste.
Allow to cook until desired consistency, usually about 30 minutes on medium heat.


Note - Chili powder can vary in heat.  Some brands are mild while certain brands are much hotter than others.  If you are unsure of the brands, add in small amounts and taste test as you go.

This recipe is flexible.  Feel free to add more veggies or spices to it.  I plan on making adjustments the next time I cook it and I'll post the results here! Let me know how you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment