Sunday, October 30, 2011

More Cooking Adventures - Mrs. J's Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

About two weeks ago, I got a craving for gumbo.  We had a touch of fall here and it bought to mind a nice, gumbo.  My bestie's is from Louisiana and her mom taught me how to make gumbo.  When I posted the pics on facebook, she and her sister thought I had taken fabulous lessons.  I beg to differ, I had a great teacher!  Here's my version of Mrs. J's Chicken and Sausage Gumbo.

2 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons flour
1 chopped onion
3 stalks chopped celery
1 chopped bell pepper
3 cloves of garlic chopped
2 cups chicken broth, stock or water
Oregano
Pepper
No Salt Seasoning - We use the House Seasoning on EVERYTHING
Cayenne Pepper
Parsley
2 bay leaves
2 cups chopped chicken
1 pound of Italian Turkey Sausage

First, take 2 tablespoons of oil (I used vegetable) and heat it in a heavy bottom pan until hot over medium low heat.  Sprinkle in 3 tablespoons of flour and stir until blended with the oil.  This makes the roux.  The roux should should be stirred until it reaches a dark brown color but not burned!  It should look like this:


Once the roux has reached the right color, add all the veggies and let them cook until they have softened.  


In a separate pan, cook the sausage and drain away the excess fat.  Turkey sausage has less fat than pork sausage so there may not be a lot of fat to drain away.  Set aside.


Once the veggies have become soft, add two cups of chicken broth or water and all the seasonings.  Add the chicken and sausage and let cook for at least 30 minutes over medium low heat.  The longer it simmers, the better it gets.  Taste and adjust seasonings to your personal preference.

This can be served over rice but because I'm limiting carbs I ate mine as is.  It was great! This recipe can also be used with seafood.  That's another post for another time!
Smooches! 

No comments:

Post a Comment