Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Physically Overweight and Spiritually Underweight

I have a new kindle and of course, I've hit the free books on Amazon like a brick!  One book I found by accident (maybe not!) has suddenly become a lifeline in this maze of trying to do the right thing.  The book is titled Craving God: A 21 Day Devotional Challenge.  Right now it's free on the kindle and I would say hurry up and download it! Here's the book's description:

Has food become more about frustration than fulfillment? Take the 21-day challenge and discover how to: *Break the cycle of 'I'll start again on Monday,' and feel good about yourself today.*Stop agonizing over numbers on the scale and make peace with your body.*Replace rationalizations that lead to diet failure with wisdom that leads to victory.*Reach your healthy goals and grow closer to God through the process.This ebook is not a how-to manual or the latest, greatest dieting plan. But rather a helpful companion to use alongside whatever healthy eating approach you choose---a Bible study to help you find the 'want to' in how to make healthy lifestyle changes.

It's only day two of the book and this really almost had me in tears.  It's easy to understand how the two in the title are so connected.  I have always been told that food for some people fills a need for something inside that's missing. I'll be the first to admit that my spiritual journey in adulthood has been wracked with pitstops and potholes and lately it feels like I'm looking for something.  But when the author made this statement about Matthew 19:20-21:

"Jesus meant His comment for any of us who wallow in whatever abundance we have.  I imagine Jesus looking straight into this man's soul and said, "I want you to give up the one thing that you crave more than me."

It's like a light went off inside my head!  In those few sentences, I could clearly see what my problem with "dieting was.  The whole issue of the diet thing has been the "giving up" aspect of it.  All I could see was the sacrifice.  I wasn't seeing my health, I wasn't seeing my life.  All I saw was the food in front of me, the cupcakes I couldn't have, the sodas I couldn't drink.  The author pointed out that we have to make a choice to redirect our cravings and stop using food to fill the hole in our hearts, be it a spiritual hole or an emotional one. I thiink my own personal hole as been a bit of both.  I'm still working on my spiritual path and after so many issues with trusting people this year, my self-essteem has taken a hit too.  It's easy to give up and bury it all in food and pretend it didn't happen only to be guilty the next day because I knew it was the wrong thing to do.  After reading this and soul searching, I feel encouraged.  This is something I can tackle.  I know it is a struggle but I know these will be words that will stick with me through out this journey

2 comments:

  1. First of all, I'm so happy to hear you finally got your Kindle. Isn't it great? Second of all, your title hit home. I've been feeling spiritually bankrupt myself lately, but I'm determined to get my relationship with Jesus back. Thanks for this recommendation. I went right over, as you said, and grabbed it from Amazon. They have some other Christian titles in freebies, as well, that I nabbed a while back but have yet to read. Check them out if you have a chance. Also, Saddleback Church has a program called "The Daniel Plan". It's a program to help people like us get physically and spiritually healthy. I signed up (it's free) today but, to be honest, it overwhelmed me. However, I do suggest you give it a look-see. I'm not ruling out altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love the Kindle, I just got it last night!! When I saw that title in the devotion book, I knew it was meant to be used! I'm working on my relationship because I realize I miss it. I have grabbed some other devotional titles and I'll be doing some reading! I'll go check out Saddleback Church. I'm really impressed with Rick Warren.

    ReplyDelete