Tuesday, August 24, 2010

So It Begins...

The seminar for the surgery was very helpful.  I was reassured by the small number of people in my group (5!) and my case worker is really down to earth and really  helpful.  The physical took place yesterday afternoon and hubby was there.  He got a chance to ask his own questions and he says that he feels better now about the whole thing.  The program is really strict but has all types of supports in place for you and your family.

I have to lose at least 35 pounds before the surgery.  My date hasn't been scheduled yet, I'm just in phase one.  This includes blood work and the psychiatric evaluation.  My primary physician also has to clear me but that shouldn't be a problem considering she's the one who completed all my insurance papers in the the first place.  This means I'm back on Spark People, tracking my calories because they have the most wonderful counting tools that I can use online and on my blackberry!!   The nurse practitioner has placed me on a 1800-calorie diet.  After looking at the list, it's seems to be really doable.

This has suddenly become so real!  Sitting in the seminar listening to other women share the issues they have had with weight really hit home because they UNDERSTAND.  Anyone who has to fight with weight understands.  What bothers me is the fact a lot of people think surgery is the "easy" way.  It's not!  Do they know how much it took to get to this decision?  Can they even understand the weight of failure that comes from trying over and over again to lose weight, especially to someone who does not fail?  Do they even understand how much is required after the surgery?  They haven't even begun to feel the emotional toll.  This was not an easy decision but a necessary one.  It really boils down to surgery or die and I'm not ready to go yet.

5 comments:

  1. "It really boils down to surgery or die and I'm not ready to go yet." Well said, Sistah! By the way, welcome back to SparkPeople. Friend me. I need some. LOL I have to say that I am surprised that you need to lose weight in order to have the procedure done, but I guess I can understand that. I will keep you in my prayers, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy you decided to have the surgery, Karen, but only because it was your decision and you made it. I'm glad Hubby is okay with it now, too, though I do understand his prior concerns. Anybody who says surgery is the easy way out just doesn't understand and aren't worth your time, so don't give it to them. You know this is the right decision for you, and that's all that matters. Keep me updated with your progress and vent to me anytime - you know I'm here.

    Keep at it, girl! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Liz The losing weight before the surgery has something to do with reducing the fat in the liver. It was a long explaination but that's the gist of it. I did friend you at Spark People by the way!!

    @Shawna It was my decision, a long and hard thought one but mine. Ro needed to hear what the NP had to say because it had been an issue with him. I'm seeing quickly there are some people who will be kicked to the curb before this is all over. The case worker told me there are people who will try to undermine you but to see it in action? WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure it was a VERY difficult decision to come to regarding the surgery. I do not envy you that decision. As someone who has been obese far to long I am also familiar with failure in terms of weight control and healthy living. Please know that you are not alone. There are so many of us in blogland who are working toward better health regarding our obesity. What works for some does not work for others, including surgery. I hope this surgery works for you. You are worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Michele Thanks so much for the support! I think that is the main thing that will get me through all of this! It's just been a really eyeopening time for me and I'm beginning to see who is in my corner and who is going to be left at the corner.

    ReplyDelete