Saturday, July 31, 2010

Bad Habits

I realized today that we are truly a product of our environments. I look at my eating habits now compared to before I married and the change has been incredible!

My mother cooked daily and there was always veggies. She kept healthy snacks like fruit all the time and sweets were after dinner only.

Now fast forward to married life; we eat out a lot! I'm married to a man who cooks for a living but is a picky eater (no fruit, seafood, some veggies). My ahha moment came when I realized my grocery habits had become a reflection of his eating habits. I'm sure a lot of this contributed both of our weight gain.

I know now that with the possibility of surgery on my horizons, a serious change has to come. I have been sacrificing my eating habits for those of convenience and that is something that has to stop. It's time to take back control of myself for myself.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

2 comments:

  1. Amen to that! Your post motivated me to look back over my life, and I realized that as soon as I went out on my own is when the trouble for me started. Fast food became a staple because I was too lazy to cook for just me, or just myself and Jen. Our upbringing sounds very similar. My mother was a stay-at-home mom and provided three home cooked meals a day, as well. She wasn't one to keep junk around the house and was always weight conscious. I realized that what I thought was her nagging at the time was simply concern for the woman I would one day be if I didn't change my habits. I think I'll save the rest of this for a blog post of my own. LOL Sorry! You know how I get once I get going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I just found your blog. I love your post about reasons to NOT drink bottled water. We have a lot in common. I am also a science teacher and finished a doctorate 4 years ago ( I am a late bloomer, too). Now I am on a journey to regain my health.

    Julie from http://julielostandfound.blogspot.com/ nominated me for an award. I am now nominating you. I found being nominated for this award a great way to discover more blogs about weight loss. I did not see the Versatile Blogger award on your blog. Here is what I wrote about you:

    The Skinny Girl Inside: http://karen-theskinnygirlinside.blogspot.com/ I love life and I'm working on regaining control of my life and weight again.

    Please go to my blog to find the rules for this award.

    Stay strong,
    Michele at
    http://ruminationsasiuncoverthewomanwithin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete